Sunday, 10 November 2013

research

The main artist I'm focused on is Frank Frezetta. When I was working on my credit card concepts I was drawing cities, then tried to think further then just cities so tried making jungles, which I initially preferred. I all ready knew about Frezetta and how amazing his work is as I have previously looked at his drawings when designing my own work.

I like the way Frezetta uses black with very bright colours in contrast. I also like the way he paints all of his own art rather than using Photoshop techniques. Frezetta's preferences for drawing was mainly with pen and ink, this is what I also prefer to use because it gives a professional look. This technique is harder because you can't rub it out like you can with pencil, but I think it allows me to learn to draw professionally as I have to constantly evaluate and critique my work and redo mistakes.

Frezetta's work is very masculine orientated and usually has a powerful male character as the focus. If he uses women they are usually masculine or have male symbolism:



This shows the women in charge of the powerful tigers.

Frank Frazetta-Aros

The main character is the woman but below is a snake representing the male.

With my own designs I have felt it is important to use Frezetta's style of having a main character at the forefront but also providing a powerful environment in the background. I have been influenced by his work as I use a masculine image but this was not planned.




Studying his style and work I was thinking of of making these cool dark evil creatures. I think they way he uses colour and the images at the forefront helps to make the picture feel dramatic, menacing and striking. This is the feel I would like to get with my drawings.


carrying on with credit card concepts for jungles and making many different character designs.

then i thought of some cool bad ass zombie man. But at the same time thinking of different ideas so if somthing does go wrong i have a plan b.

Frezetta's work is composed of shading and he uses a block colour to form shapes in his characters. He also uses cross-hatching in his sketches. He also uses perspective to give his characters presence at the front of the image and produces background images to provide an element of curiosity i.e 'Why has the character come from the castle behind?' I have used all of these techniques in my own work in order to give the same feel as Frezetta often did. I also looked at the techniques used by the Rennaissance masters to see the similarities as shown below:


Sketches by Frezetta.

                                                       Sketches by Michaleangelo.
      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/Michelangelo_libyan.jpg


http://www.drawingsofleonardo.org/images/shoulderandneck3.jpg

These sketches by Da Vinci above helped me develop my idea of a zombie-like creature.

In Frezetta's work the emphasis is always on the main character which always has an element of movement, this is something I have studied and like to apply to my own drawings in order to bring my characters to life. His work is generally balanced because of the way he uses proportion, for example here the tigers are oversized, however the whole image is balanced with the correct proportions being applied:



In my final sketches I have used perspective to balance the final image by drawing the characters drifting into the background to demonstrate proportion to the background image. I also used trees to show that the characters scale was also in proportion. The trees also provide a border to frame the main image I wish the audience to focus on as you can see in the image below.



Frezetta's main viewpoint of his images always seems to be a front view with a one point perspective, this would be used to ensure the viewer is focused on the main image and to illustrate the importance and powerfulness of the image.

For this module I have decided to try a different genre of art as I usually draw sci-fi images. I started off with sci-fi credit card drawings of cities and opened my options to other environments by starting to draw jungles. Whist I was working on jungles I drew a figure that reminded me of Frezetta's work so I was inspired to look further at his work for idea



I think that the concept art I have been drawn to is quite similar to The Renaissance paintings in the way they are related to the un-dead and the apocalypse. In the Renaissance there is often a central character which is God-like which reflects Frezettas images e.g in Botteceli's Birth of Venus below.

















Whilst looking at Rennaisance images I saw this picture by Michaleangelo. I liked the way the extra bodies enabled the central character to come to the forefront more. This was the main turning point of my final image  where I decided to add extra zombies in order to frame the main character. The Rennaisance movement was pulling away from religion and started to think about Science as the above image shows with the shape of the brain and the people inside looking like the inside of the skull. This also connects with my choice of Zombies as I am imagining a Devil-like character inside the castle which is controlling the zombies. Your eye is lead to the castle by the line of Zombies coming from it in order for the viewer to wonder what is inside.





http://www.rampantscotland.com/castles/blcastles_fraser.htm





http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/31-days-of-horror-the-descent.php

Looking at the film descent as requested this creatures have move of the feeling I'm going for with my zombie concept that the look. They are a bit too much non-human that I'm looking for but they still have given my a better understanding of what I'm exactly what I'm looking for: 

I've been trying to look for castles more in the distance because my castle/ temple is in the 
distance. 


http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/features/31-days-of-horror-the-descent.php


http://www.rampantscotland.com/castles/blcastles_fraser.htm


I used this image to help me to draw the zombie army going off into the distance.



















Jungle by joshuahughesART






No comments:

Post a Comment